Friday, July 3, 2009

Juicing - Take Two!

So, today is my first official day of juicing. Whee!

This morning, I had a cucumber-watermelon-spinach juice. This, too, was worthy of a HOLY MACKEREL! Very cool and refreshing.

It's been a very low key day so far, but we're going to the races tonight. I've never been to a race before, so it's all very exciting! My extended family is big into the whole cars-go-zoom-zoom scene, but I was never introduced until I was nearly 30. I went to Monster Trucks last year, which was my first experience with a race-type thingie. I thought I'd hate it, but shock of all shocks - I really enjoyed myself! So, huzzah for trying new things!

My family is going to be eating fried dough and drinking soda, most likely. You know what? That's totally cool. I mean, I wish they wouldn't, but them's the breaks of living with a family that hasn't embraced the same changes as you. When I cook, I prepare vegan meals for them. When we go out, I let them choose as they please. I get super proud when Ester chooses a vegetable over french fries to go with her meal.

It's not about forcing change, it's about inspiring change.

Maybe someday she'll ask for a green juice instead of a Sprite!

Speaking of green juice, today I made my first hardcore green juice: spinach-red leaf lettuce-lime. When I sipped it, immediately I was stunned at the taste. It wasn't bad, but the lime was POWERFUL.

Fruits and vegetables are so intense!

I think this is one of the first lessons I learned about fruits and vegetables when I started my raw journey. When left it its natural state, these seemingly innocent plants will literally kick you in the face.

A whole lime seems like a pretty chill little citrus fruit, but WOW. At first I thought maybe I didn't like it, but as I kept drinking, I realized the lime made the juice taste ALIVE! Now I love it!

I'm pretty much out of greens and only have a few fruits left, so I will need to go shopping tomorrow. I will be attending a cook out, which should be interesting while I juice. At first, I wasn't going to go, but I absolutely love my family and would be sad without their company. So, I'll let my freedom from solids ring and enjoy their glow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not about forcing change, it's about inspiring change.


I love this quote Sarah. Have funn at the races and your cook-out. :)