Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Year in Review

As I've been preparing for my juice feast, I find myself reflecting on the things I do differently since going raw. I went raw vegan on Memorial Day 2008. It took me a long time to feel comfortable applying the word 'vegan' to my lifestyle because, in many ways, I was the exact opposite of what I imagined a vegan would be. I am fairly conservative, I have no issues with my husband's desire to hunt, I did not recycle, and generally vote for Republicans. I felt like I was lying to myself using 'vegan' to describe my lifestyle. I felt that some of the things done by the vegan community were 'weird' and resolved never to become that 'hippie'.

Mostly, the lifestyle scared me. If you've even dabbled as a 'raw vegan', you'll know that it's more than just eating foods in their raw, natural state. The idea of purity begins to encompass more than just the food you put into your body. You begin to realize that everything and everyone is connected, and the energy you put out will be the energy that comes in. Suddenly, the casual choices you made yesterday hold a significant weight. It can be pretty overwhelming. I almost quit before I began simply because I could not fathom all the changes I thought necessary to truly be a raw vegan.

Thankfully, I pushed past that anxiety and forged ahead. I wanted to share with you who I am today. It may change tomorrow, it may change in ten years, but I'm not so concerned about that. I love who I am in the moment because that's all I'm supposed to be.

Carrying on! Here are some things that I've learned, some things that I've changed, and some things that are the same since MD '08:

Politics

I am still fairly conservative, but mostly in regards to the government's role in our lives. I am loathe to allow them a say in everything from the way I garden to who I choose to marry. The marriage issue is probably the most polarizing issue for me with a 'typical' conservative. I support gay marriage because, frankly, it's fair. If you do not want to grant the right to marry to all citizens, then take away the incentives of marriage.

I feel that the states should have more rights, and choosing my local representative should bear more weight than the President. I believe we should be responsible for ourselves, from health care to education choices. We would never need a nationalized health care system if people incorporated more raw foods and naturopathic remedies. I believe that our sense of responsibility should extend to the community, and that it does not need to be a federal mandate to help our neighbors.

The "Weird" Things I Do

Oil Pulling - I do this every morning. I'll likely do an article on it later, but let me go over the personal benefits I've found. Last summer, I had my wisdom teeth removed. After the surgery, my teeth were painfully sensitive and I had a dull pain in my lower lip from nerve damage. These symptoms have never gone away. I started oil pulling, which is basically swishing sesame oil in your mouth for 20 minutes and rinsing twice with hydrogen peroxide. I no longer have sensitivity or the dull pain in my lip.

Essential Oils - I use essential oils daily. I put lemon in my water, lavender in my baths, and peppermint on my tongue. Peppermint oil is my salvation from migraines! I also exclusively clean my household with essential oils.

Recycling - I actually recycle now! It is my responsibility to be a good steward of the land I live upon, and recycling is extremely important.

Composting - I built my very own compost pile outside with chicken wire, cardboard, and an old carpet. I am cutting down on my municipal waste as well as creating a rich, beautiful source of nutrients for my garden next year.

Gardening - I expanded my garden this year. I hope to save quite a bit of money this year, as well as broaden my knowledge to one day be able to grow most of my family's food. This year, I planted cucumbers, yellow summer squash, zucchini, 4 types of tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, and heirloom SEEDED watermelon. I started some of these seeds myself, sprouting them in ocean water dilute.

Meditation - This is key for me. I usually meditate in the bathtub.

Sunshine - I never understood how important sunshine is, and how heavily it affects my mood. I sunbathe for at least 20 minutes a day, and do not use soap on my body (except in my armpits and nethers) while showering to preserve the Vitamin D on my skin.

No more deodorant! - I use a salt stone instead.



I have several HUGE FUN OMG WOOHOO things on the horizon for me, like my juice feast. I love that this lifestyle continuously encourages me to challenge my perspective. I can't wait to share with you next year!

<3,
Sarah

No comments: