Thursday, August 7, 2008

Wisdom Teeth


Today, I had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted. I have made the decision to deal with the pain and threat of infection naturally. Wish me luck!

For the pain: ice, peppermint oil, plenty of lavender baths, and rest.
For the risk of infection: aloe vera, oregano, hydrogen peroxide, and raw food.

So far, so good. I had the surgery this morning at 11. I did allow them to put me to sleep, so I have those numbing drugs in my body still. My lip is in a perpetual pout! Once that wears off, the true test will begin. To soothe my husband's nerves, I allowed him to fill both of my prescriptions, a antibiotic and vicodin. I am confident I will not need either, but will be cautious. We are going to Maine tomorrow on vacation. In my opinion, what better place to recover than on a hammock near a lake, soaking in the healing embrace of nature?

Here are a few things I will need to watch for, according to my doctor:

1. Swelling. This is normal - he recommends ice, which I had planned to take advantage of already.

2. The blood clot. Apparently, the blood clot will be greyish or yellow in appearance, though I have not seen it. I am supposed to keep all poky things away from it to prevent its rupture.

3. Bleeding. Obviously, I am going to bleed a bit. If I am bleeding too often, my doctor suggests that I stop rinsing my mouth. (Though, I am not supposed to rinse my mouth in the first 24 hours.) They also encourage biting down on a moistened tea bag, which I found interesting. I have peppermint tea, so I may use that but I will do a bit of research tonight to find which tea best promotes healing. Right now, I am using gobs of aloe vera gel in place of the recommended gauze. Do not become excited - my mom says this is because it causes your blood pressure to rise which increases blood flow, which would increase bleeding. Pretty smart lady, my mom. <3

4. Swelling. Ice, ice, and more ice. If the swelling does not go down, use a warm cloth instead of a cold one. I am also going to research a few different methods for naturally reducing swelling, but I think my aloe vera will do wonders.

5. Pain. Duh. I am not planning to take medication, so I will be combatting the pain naturally with ice, rest, hypnosis, and meditation.

6. Food. Soft diet - hey, raw food is great for a soft diet! So far, I have made a smoothie of tomatoes, basil, oregano, and spinace. Tonight, I am going to make a warmish portebello mushroom soup topped with processed oregano and basil. Mmmm.

7. Smoking. Gross, I don't smoke.

8. Rest. Rest is good for body and spirit, as everyone knows. I fully plan to kick my feet back, relax, and let my husband do the laundry. Woohoo!

The following things are normal:

-swelling
-sore throat
-earache
-difficulty opening the mouth
-numbness
-discoloration, such as bruises

I look pretty silly right now! I have a big ol' scarf pressing two bags of ice to either side of my face. I am still numb, but eight hours after the surgery, I feel optimistic.

Don't I look fantastic?!?!?!?

5 comments:

SW3V said...

OH. MY. GOD. You poor, brave WOMAN!!!!!!!

FOUR in ONE go?!?!?!

I'd so be about the drugs so big up you!! Well done lady xx

Unknown said...

Great Picture!

Sean Butcher said...

The recovery process after extracting your wisdom teeth is a pretty tough ordeal. You're bound to have a restricted diet of soup and you have to change the dressings on your wound to prevent the infection from starting. When I had my wisdom tooth extracted at the clinic in Murrells Inlet, SC. Dentists there are pretty accommodating and I had my procedure after a few check-ups to ensure that I am in good condition for the extraction.

After letting out 4 wisdom teeth, the pain of having them is gone, but the pain of recovery comes next. But thanks to my fast healing trait and with the skillful hands of the dentists (Murrells Inlet, SC clinic) who did the extraction, the recovery period was shortened.

Geetha said...


This is a Threaded blog in mind when I came up with the idea for this post. Thanks.
ApolloWhiteDental - Best Dental Clinic
Dental Clinic In Adyar
Dentist In Velachery
Dental Implants in Chennai
Pediatric Dentist in Chennai

Oris Dental said...

Nice post.Thank You!

Best Dental Clinic in Dubai

Best Dentist in Dubai

Dental Clinic in Dubai

Dental implant in Dubai

Dentist in Dubai

Dentist in Jumeirah

Dentist in Mirdif